66 detective novels and 14 short story collections is what she gave us and massive amount of love, respect and fame is what she got in return! We’re talking about none other than today’s birthday super star, AGATHA CHRISTIE!
Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Christie, Lady Mallowan, was born on 15th September 1890 and died at the age of 85 on 12th January 1976. Some of the interesting facts about Christie’s life include the fact that she served at the hospital during World War times. She played a very major role in paving the way for detective fiction universally.
The Guinness Book of World Records lists Christie as the best-selling novelist of all time. Her novels have sold roughly 2 billion copies, and her estate claims that her works come third in the rankings of the world’s most-widely published books, behind only Shakespeare’s works and the Bible. Now there’s nothing more we can say to show the grandeur nature of her contribution to the field of literature.
The best way to celebrate any author’s birthday is by remembering their words, so here I bring to you some of my favourite Christie’s quotes:
- An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her.
- I don’t think necessity is the mother of invention – invention, in my opinion, arises directly from idleness, possibly also from laziness. To save oneself trouble.
- It is a curious thought, but it is only when you see people looking ridiculous that you realize just how much you love them.
- The best time to plan a book is while you’re doing the dishes.
- One doesn’t recognize the really important moments in one’s life until it’s too late.
- Very few of us are what we seem.
- Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that’s no reason not to give it.
- Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them.
- The happy people are failures because they are on such good terms with themselves they don’t give a damn.
- Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.
Happy Birthday, Agatha Christie. You played a major role in making literature what it is today! You’ve become immortal with your work. We love you! Happy 126th Birthday anniversary to you!