Brushing of teeth is the most important aspect of your life, which people may not realize. Even a small oral problem can lead to a severe problem. Brushing of teeth should be done after having each meal even if you are having snacks or chocolate you got to brush it away as any food particles which remain stuck to the tooth surface may lead to caries. Though people brush their teeth regularly to maintain the oral hygiene but maximum of them are not aware of the correct brushing technique.
The correct technique of brushing is The Bass Method which includes the following steps:
- Place the tooth brush head at a 45 degree angle towards the gums. The tooth brush should contact both gums and the tooth structure.
- Gently brush the outer tooth surfaces in a vibrating, back and forth and rolling motion covering 2-3 teeth at a time then move the brush to the next set of 2-3 teeth and repeat the same procedure.
- For the inner surfaces of the teeth maintain the 45 degree angle covering the gums and the tooth surface and gently brush the tooth surface covering 2-3 teeth at a time using vibrating, back and forth and rolling motion.
- Tilt the brush vertically behind the front teeth and make several up and down strokes using the front half of the tooth brush.
- For the upper surface of tooth structure or the biting surface place the tooth brush against the biting surface of teeth and gently use back and forth and scrubbing motion to clean.
- Brush the tongue from the back of the tooth brush or use a tongue cleaner for better cleansing of the odor causing bacteria.
- Use dental floss for cleaning the food particles stuck in between the teeth to avoid any caries.
To maintain a good oral hygiene you have to start from the basics that is knowing the correct brushing technique to avoid any oral problems.